cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy on a Switch

Sumit789v
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have 2 routers connected to one switch via fastethernet ports. I want all the traffic to go through Router 1, and i wand Router 2 to be a standby router. could any please help/guide me with this?

4 Replies 4

Hi,

You must provide further details : from whom do you want the traffic to go through R1 ?

Dan

Pawan Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can configure any FHRP protocol on it. If you only want failover then HSRP is good for you but if you wish to load balance the traffic on both the gateways, you should go for GLBP.

Regards,

Pawan Sharma

http://www.ebrahma.com

Regards,
Pawan Sharma
https://itgears.io

Sumit789v
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for you replies, i decided to use HSRP as i need one router to just be a standby ( which is the BL router). The main network is on the top where the traffic will be coming from. I want the all the traffic to be passed through PL router. While BL router will be a redundant router.

Please see attached image for more info...

Please suggest me on how i can go about that? Will i only need to run the HSRP on the MBSwitch?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

You have to configure each router with HSRP settings. Basically for each router, you will configure a shared virtual IP (VIP). The pair of routers will share this IP, and whichever one is currently active will respond to traffic to that IP address.

The two routers will have to have at least one interface on the same network (ie, fastethernet0 on r1 might be 192.168.1.2, fastethernet0 on r2 might be 192.168.1.3, with the virtual IP being 192.168.1.1). You would point all devices to the gateway of 192.168.1.1.

You then configure both routers will the appropriate HSRP commands to determine when to failover, when/if to fail back, etc. Just google cisco HSRP configuration...

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card