Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy test for 6500

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

I am just making a plan for the redundancy test for 6500 switches. The switches are 6509 with dual sup (Sup720-3B) and dual power supplies in redundant fashion.

To demonstrate redundancy to the client, is it possible to just unplug the active sup module / power supply from the chassis and verify if traffic is still going through?

Thanks a lot

Gautam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can do the same thing on the 4500R series switches also.

Mark

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Gautam,

Yes, you can pull the active supervisor and test the redundancy of the supervisors. I had to do a demonstration for a customer and used the reset button instead. The reason why I did that was to prevent unnecessary wear and tear on the supervisor/chassis. Doing it this way will still give you the same results as pulling the supervisor. Alternatively you could can also reload the active supervisor by CLI by issuing the "redundancy force-failover" command. You shouldn't have any problems with the power supplies as long as you have them configured in "redundant" mode.

HTH,

Mark

Thanks a lot for your suggestions Mark.

Can you also confirm if i could pull out an active sup on the 4507 RE chassis?

Yes, you can do the same thing on the 4500R series switches also.

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card