Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy

macfrist38
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Please may i know if we can config redundancy with router (without Switch) ?? I have two internet connection.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes you can have two paths for traffic to have redundancy accessing the WAN, but you will have a single point of hardware failure( your router).

Create two static routes to enable all host ( or certain number of hosts) to access either interface or both.

Both routes will be included in routing table because they will have the same cost.

Example:   ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 s0/0/0 (interface connecting to ISP 1)

ip route 172.16.10.0 255.255.255.0 s0/0/1 (interface connected to ISP 2)

ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 s0/0/1 (interface connected to ISP 2)

I think that you should redirect traffic that is sensitive to latency out one interface and use other interface for less important traffic

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have a single router, no switch, and two Internet connections then I do not see any way that you can configure redundancy, other than providing routing logic to have one Internet connection function as backup to the other.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Neeraj Arora
Level 3
Level 3

As Richard mentioned, the only redundancy possible with One router and no switch, is Internet WAN link redundancy.

you can use the Internet links as Active-backup (failover with two default routes, one with a higher AD to act as backup link) or Active-Active (load balancing with two default routes both with same AD but do make sure NAT is configured properly)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 7304 was a router that supported redundancy of components in the box, including the route processor, but it's now, I believe, EoS.  I don't recall any other router in the Cisco line up that can support such redundancy in a single box beyond the L3 switch "router" type chassis devices, e.g. 7604.

thanks i think so

Hi JosephDoherty, Do you think that cisco routers can't support redundancy protocol like GLBP, HSRP and VRRP ??? am not sure

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

KOUAMOU Franck stephane wrote:

Hi JosephDoherty, Do you think that cisco routers can't support redundancy protocol like GLBP, HSRP and VRRP ??? am not sure

Do I think they can't?  Not at all, however older IOS images might not support GLBP or VRRP and for any of these (also HSRP), you're generally working with more than one device to provide gateway redundancy.

OK thanks

- can we use one router with two ISP and make redundancy ??

Yes you can have two paths for traffic to have redundancy accessing the WAN, but you will have a single point of hardware failure( your router).

Create two static routes to enable all host ( or certain number of hosts) to access either interface or both.

Both routes will be included in routing table because they will have the same cost.

Example:   ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 s0/0/0 (interface connecting to ISP 1)

ip route 172.16.10.0 255.255.255.0 s0/0/1 (interface connected to ISP 2)

ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 s0/0/1 (interface connected to ISP 2)

I think that you should redirect traffic that is sensitive to latency out one interface and use other interface for less important traffic

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card