Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

redundant MSFC's in 6509

I have an issue with 2 redundant supervisors in 1 6509 chassis. for years they worked fine then one blade failed. The replacement blade is the same model (although it has a fw version of 7.1 where the other is still 6.1)

When applying the original config on to the MSFC, the first problem was Number of Unique Standby Groups as the original config creator had given the Standy Group the same number as the VLAN (and there are 40 VLANs). I changed all these to Standby Group 1 and the card appeared to load happily, however when I do show standby, at the end of the Virtual IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx configured line, i get (duplicate!) and the traffic fails to route through.

I have checked and double checked the configs and there is no duplication.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The MSFC is running IOS version 12.1.8E in hybrid mode, I know this is not supported, but it was working originally.

Thanks

Ian

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: redundant MSFC's in 6509

If the same group number is assigned to multiple standby groups, it creates a non-unique MAC address.This is seen as the router's own MAC address and it is filtered out if more than one router in a LAN becomes active.Refer URL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800a9679.shtml#q2

Views
Helpful
Replies