Helpful
Replies

Regarding HSRP

sharma16031981
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two core switches core 1 and core 2

two vlans are there on each of them and hsrp is configured for redundancy.

now these core switches are connected with two routers resp and I want

to run hsrp between these two routers also. I have configured ip add and standby

config on both interfaces on the router.

Now my question is how hsrp communcation will go. is there anything I have to configure

on my core switches also.

Please help...

12 Replies 12

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HSRP is there to provide redundant gateway for end devices. It is generally not used for network devices to communciate with each other.

Is there any reason why you are not running a dynamic routing protocol such as EIGRP/OSPF between the core switches and the routers ?

What exactly do you want to achieve by using HSRP on the routers ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank for reply. As I donot have much exp.

I was trying to do the track the interface and traffic to be shifted automatically to standby router.

I would like to know for enabling routing protocol I have to assign IP address on resp core and router interfaces. If yes then how to assing IP address on these four interfaces.

To enable dynamic routing yes you will need the interfaces to have IP addresses.

I'm assuming you have a L2/L3 connection between your core switches ?

Lets say

core switch 1 (cs1) is connected to router1 (r1)

core switch 1 (cs2) is connected to router1 (r2)

cs1

int gi0/1 <-- connected to r1

no switchport

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.252

r1

int gi0/0 <--- connected to cs1

ip address 192.168.5.2 255.255.255.252

cs2

int gi0/1 <-- connected to r2

no switchport

ip address 192.168.5.5 255.255.255.252

r2

int gi0/0 <--- connected to r1

ip address 192.168.5.6 255.255.255.252

then you would need to configure either EIGRP or OSPF on each switch and router.

Jon

friends,

the range you have used between two CS nd Routers is from different subnets so we can use different class address also instead of using same class.

Now if I want these routers to track the interfaces connected to ISP so that when one link goes down then use the active link at that time. then how to configure that.

Hemant

Hemant

Okay, it's probably a good idea if you give some more details as to your setup because HSRP may be the way to go on the routers after all.

Could you answer these questions -

1) the 2 inside router interfaces, they are on the same subnet ?

2) each router has a connection to the same ISP ? or a different ISP.

3) Are you receiving routes from the ISP and if so how eg BGP

4) What are the links terminated on on your routers - are they serial point-to-point links ?

Jon

1) yes, two inside routers interfaces are on same subnet

2) each router is having connection to different routers

3)we are not recieving routes from BGP.

4)we are having metroethenet link between our offices and these link never shows down when link is down that is the reason I want to track the link

And do you only want to use one of the links at any one time ?

If so then yes you can configure HSRP on the router interfaces.

You would then need to add a static route to each of your core switches. something like

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Jon

Hi Jon,

I have attached the config file of two Core switches and network diagram

issues I am facing

1. am able to ping physical ip address of both vlans from both CS but not able to ping the VIP from the switch which is standby for that vlan.

2.some hsrp state change is going on automatically after some time. but state of that router comes to same as it was before the state change process.

standby - active- speak- standby

3. I want to configure HSRP on R3 and R4 so that they can track their out interface also i want to run eigrp on those interfaces with core switches

"I want to configure HSRP on R3 and R4 so that they can track their out interface also i want to run eigrp on those interfaces with core switches"

If you run EIGRP between the devices then there is little reason to run HSRP because the devices will use the physical interface addresses.

Are you exchanging any routes between r4/r3 and R5 because if you are not then why do you need to run EIGRP ?

Do you only want to use one of the links to R5 at a time or is it okay to use both links ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

ny suggestion on point 1 and 2

thanks

Hemant

I would like to work out which design to use before we start trouboeshooting. Could you answer the question(s) in my previous thread and then we can come up with a workable solution.

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Hemant,

if the two routers are in different Vlans there is no way (and no sense) to run HSRP between them.

HSRP can be used only between devices that share a common IP subnet.

Edit:

I see that this point is clear to you.

sorry for the basic note but sometimes this can help.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: