Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Regular Reloads

I have been looking for about an hour (my google-fu is obviously not as strong as others) for some form of documentation that would provide a suggested period of time before a reload is suggested just for routine maintenance and upkeep of the equipment.  So my question is three fold:  Does such a document exist?  If it doesn't, does Cisco actually recommend reloading switches as part of a routine maintenance schedule?  If they do, what is that timeframe?  Any information is truly appreciated!!!

Respectfully,
Aaron

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Regular Reloads

Aaron,

I could say that we dont have anywere recorded on data sheet that you have to reboot the device after such period of time.

But I dont want to upset and let you go with the above answer. Here is what I can say with my experience:

1-

I have seen many customer scheduling the MW to perform the reload of there boxes once a year.... just to make sure that everything is fine(I.e all hardware comes up properly when they do the reload activity.)

2-

Similar discussion was held:--

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2100235

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2122497

HTH

Regards

Inayath

********Plz rate if this information is helpfull******************

Thanks for the information!

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Regular Reloads

It doesn't matter how "old" or "new" your IOS in your appliances are, I always find an "excuse" to reboot everything network gear I have every year.

My core equipment gets an IOS (bootstrap too) upgrade.

My access switch gets an IOS upgrade everytime I see an IOS version I like to run.

I can't say for everyone, but some people I use to work with, the word "regular" and the phrase "IOS upgrade" should never be mentioned.  The reason why some people are very afraid of doing software maintenance is because:

1.  They are afraid that a simple IOS upgrade may cause a component or appliance to fail;

2.  The trouble caused when downstream clients designed poorly; and

3.  Not a lot of people know how to do an IOS upgrade.

NOTE:  I did a few "tripped over the power cable". 

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

I've worked with multiple Cisco devices that have run (in production) up to 8 years without a reload (not that I'm recommending it).

Cisco Employee

Regular Reloads

Hi Aaron,

Hope we all have answered your query. Could you please do us a favour to mark the thread as answered if you dont have any further queries so that we dont leave questions as unanswered.

Kindly rate the usefull posts though :-)

Regards

Inayath

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content