Views
Helpful
Replies

Relation between ATM and Sonet

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody!

My understanding is ATM is data link packet switched Wan solution like FRame relay .

Sonet means ( fiber optics) links over which ATM frames(cells) travel. So In this sense, sonet should be mapped to physical layer of OSI layers.

Is my understanding correct ?

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend !

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So In this sense, sonet should be mapped to physical layer of OSI layers.

Actually, SONET is considered a transport protocol. Check this link so you can see how a SONET frame looks like:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk482/tk607/technologies_tech_note09186a0080124afa.shtml

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

Sarah,

transport.

__

Edison.

Hello Sarah,

from the OSI point of view SONET provides L1 services to data networks.

The Sonet framework and its associated protocols and features like path protection, reroute can also be classified up to OSI layer3.

In communication world Sonet/SDH is seen as a transport framework (not OSI transport layer)that provides a structured synchronus service to transport TDM circuits from E1/T1 to OC-1 and above.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So In this sense, sonet should be mapped to physical layer of OSI layers.

Actually, SONET is considered a transport protocol. Check this link so you can see how a SONET frame looks like:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk482/tk607/technologies_tech_note09186a0080124afa.shtml

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks A lot Edison !

What layer of osi,does sonet operate?

My guess is data link layer.

Sarah,

transport.

__

Edison.

Hello Sarah,

from the OSI point of view SONET provides L1 services to data networks.

The Sonet framework and its associated protocols and features like path protection, reroute can also be classified up to OSI layer3.

In communication world Sonet/SDH is seen as a transport framework (not OSI transport layer)that provides a structured synchronus service to transport TDM circuits from E1/T1 to OC-1 and above.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Great post Giuseppe, rated accordingly :)

And btw, I stand corrected

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card