cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Access of Switches

kbullard00
Level 1
Level 1

I need to setup switches so I can access them remotely but I am confused about default gateway addresses for them.

please see attach

thax

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kbullard00 wrote:

Great info really appreciate it.

So in general if I were setting up a network for a company when I did my subnetting I'd allot one for switch management?

If the switches were connected to different subnets could I still use just that one subnet for all of them?

For instance in the diagram I could use ip addresses from 10.32.1.1 / 11 for all the switches?

see attach

The diagram is a little unclear but generally yes you would use a dedicated vlan/subnet for the switches in each site. If your company had multiple sites connected over a WAN you would use a different vlan/subnet per site.

Doesn''t matter what other vlans are on the switches because those vlans are for end devices whereas this vlan is spefically for switch management, You shouldn't have any end devices in the switch management vlan and it shouldn't be vlan 1.

Note, as mentioned in previous post, this means each switch would have at least 2 vlans (and maybe a lot more) so you would need to interconnect your switches via trunk links.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

kbullard00 wrote:

I need to setup switches so I can access them remotely but I am confused about default gateway addresses for them.

please see attach

thax

Generally speaking you use a new subnet for switch managment. You can do this or you can use an existing vlan. If you used the existing vlan then on switch 2 you need to use vlan 4 and on switch  3  you need to use vlan 8. So -

switch 2

======

int vlan 1

shutdown

int vlan 4

ip address x.x.x.x    <-- where x.x.x.x is a spare IP address from the vlan 4 subnet

ip default-gateway y.y.y.y   <-- where y.y.y.y is the IP address of the subinterface for vlan 4 on your router

switch 3

======

int vlan 1

shutdown

int vlan 8

ip address x.x.x.x <-- where x.x.x.x is an spare IP from vlan 8

ip default-gateway z.z.z.z where z.z.z.z is the IP address of the subinterface for vlan 8 on your router

If you wanted to use a new vlan you would need to -

1) do same as above but instead of vlan 4 and vlan 8 interfaces on the switches you would use new vlan and assign IP from new vlan subnet.

2) create another subinterface on the router for new vlan and assign it an IP and make that the default-gateway for both switches.

Note if you did use a new vlan the connections from sw1 -> sw2 and sw1 -. sw3 would have to be trunk links as they need to carry the existing vlan + the new vlan.

Jon

So in general if I were setting up a network for a company when I did my subnetting I'd allot one for switch management?

If the switches were connected to different subnets could I still use just that one subnet for all of them?

For instance in the diagram I could use ip addresses from 10.32.1.1 / 11 for all the switches?

see attach

kbullard00 wrote:

see attach

The diagram is a little unclear but generally yes you would use a dedicated vlan/subnet for the switches in each site. If your company had multiple sites connected over a WAN you would use a different vlan/subnet per site.

Doesn''t matter what other vlans are on the switches because those vlans are for end devices whereas this vlan is spefically for switch management, You shouldn't have any end devices in the switch management vlan and it shouldn't be vlan 1.

Note, as mentioned in previous post, this means each switch would have at least 2 vlans (and maybe a lot more) so you would need to interconnect your switches via trunk links.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card