cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing VLAN Tag on 3750

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

I have an ACE4710 that forces me to have a VLAN outside of VLAN 1. In this case it is VLAN 1000.

But my setup is such that I have a router interface connected to the switch. I dont have access to the router, just the 3750. Otherwise I'd subinterface, have VLAN 1000 on there and walla!

So when I plug in the ACE into int g1/0/1 is there any way for me to have it in native vlan 1000 but also reachable from VLAN 1 and all the other devices in VLAN 1?

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you trunking the interface on the 3750 that is connected to the ACE4710?

If not, there is not tags on the packet. Vlan Tagging is only implemented on trunks. You can configure g1/0/1 as access vlan 1 and provided the ACE and the router are on the same IP subnet, they will be able to ping each other.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Not sure if that is true. I can only access the ip address if I come from another port in VLAN 1000. If I am in the default VLAN I lose all connectivity.

Stupic ACE would be better off it it actually allowed VLAN 1 methinks.

Any other thoughts?

James

On your current configuration, yes. Again - you didn't answer my question. Do you have the ACE facing switchport on the switch configured as access or trunk mode?

If it's configured as access, you can change the port to Vlan 1 and the ACE side can still be configured as Vlan 1000.

Just picture connecting the ACE to a non-managed switch, how would you assign the Vlan there? Well everyone on that switch would belong to the same Vlan and provided all have the same IP subnet, it will work.

The problem would be if the ACE is trunked towards your 3750 and you are also trunking on the 3750.

__

Edison.

Yes, the ACE is trunked. See if I can remove it an put in VLAN 1000 access only.

James

If the ACE is trunked, the native Vlan between these devices must match. What's the problem with moving the remaining devices to 'access vlan 1000' from Vlan 1?

Are they all in the same IP subnet?

If not, then route this communication between Vlan 1000 and Vlan 1.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card