Views
Helpful
Replies

REP and 2960X Access switch

helenio
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

from feature navigator look like REP is supported from 15.0.(2).

As I try on a ws-c2960x-48TS-L there is no rep command possible. Where I'M wrong ?

13 Replies 13

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you looked in the Feature Navigator were you just looking for the feature and IOS version or were you also looking for platform support. The last time that I looked REP was only supported on certain platforms and I do not think that 2960 was one of them.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hermos95490
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

have you found a solution?

feature navigator says supported.

Joris Syen
Level 1
Level 1

We are having the same problem here.

We bought the 2960X because the feature navigator says REP supported.

But we find no way of how to configure this.

We are being forced to buy 3750X switches now, that are twice as expensive.

Please Cisco fix this issue, what are we doing wrong?

This link is to release notes for 15.0(2)SE shows support for REP in 3560 and 3750 but not in 2960.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-12-2-special-early-deployments/product_bulletin_c25-716485.html

I looked in the Cisco Feature Navigator and had difficulty in finding anything that shows support for REP on the 2960. But when I looked at 2960X in the most recent release the Feature Navigator does show support for REP. It does look like this is a flaw in Feature Navigator that Cisco should address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have submitted feedback about the issue with REP for 2960X. Just to be clear, what version of code was your 2960X running?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joris Syen
Level 1
Level 1

The switch is onsite now with no REP configured.

I can't remember the exact version it was running, but we definitely checked it with the Feature navigator.

Nowhere could I find how to exactly configure it on the 2960X so we did not configure it, luckely it was not required since it was the only switch in the Ring that did not support it (the others were IE).

I have configured it before on a 3750X with no problem, but that commands do not work on a 2960X.

What happens is we have a REP ring of industrial switches (2x 1Gb uplink, 8x 100Mb downlink) and need to connect our servers to that ring.

So now, if we want to put a 24 ports 1Gb switch in that REP ring with full REP protocol, we need to buy high range 3750X to get a 1Gb link to our servers.

I raised the issue with the team that maintains the Feature Navigator. Here is the response that I received:

I got the confirmation from the platform manager and will do  necessary changes in CFN.

It will reflect in CFN by the end of tomorrow.

So Cisco agrees that it was a mistake in Feature Navigator and will correct it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have received a message from the engineer that Feature Navigator has been updated and the support for REP with 2960X has been removed. Do you agree that this has been resolved satisfactorily?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hermos95490
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i did solve my Problem by using RSTP.

But for what is cisco having the Feature Navigator!?

I dont Need any tool for make work easier when the Information in it is wrong.

It is good to know that you did solve your problem by using RSTP.

Cisco has the Feature Navigator as a way to help customers find features and where they are supported. Like any tool there will be some flaws and mistakes (especially when you consider the extremely large number of features and the wide variety of platforms and versions of code). Feedback from customers in a situation like this helps Cisco find the things that need to be fixed. And they generally do respond to customer feedback - as they have in this issue. They have made changes about this entry in Feature Navigator and so now the question for those of you who discovered the flaw - do you agree that the current information is more accurate?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi, I have the same issue on a SCADA network and wanted to ask if you could provide the precise solution that you incorporated with RSTP? What configuration changes were necessary on both sides of the network: Cisco and the REP switches?

RSTP and REP are compatible as long as you only have one REP segment and one RSTP segment on a single ring (see REP design guide).

FYI, i discovered the same is true for the new Catalyst 9300 & 9500 switches: feature manager says: REP supported, release notes says: REP not supported.

After creating a ticket at Cisco, this seems to be solved now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card