cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace a failed stack member 3750

paulanto1
Level 1
Level 1

The master switch 3750- 48 in a 3 member stack failed today. Immediately the second switch assumed the role of master. We powered off the faulty switch and replaced it with another same model and OS version with a default configuration. This changed the status and now the stack member 3 shows as Provisioned ( the other two - the new master and the replacement) are shown as ready in show switch.

All ports on the new switch (Member 1) are working normally and same on master (Member 2). Ports on member 3 (shown as provisioned) have no access. How do I move it to ready status?

How do I check if the replacement switch has received the configuration from the stack? Does ready status mean that the config has been received?

Thanks very much.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try following this document:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html#stack3

HTH

I read that document already and many others. It doesn't tell me how to move stack member state from Provisioned to Ready. From what I understand, Provisioned state means that the stack manager cannot see any corresponding physical ports on the member switch in that state mapped to the stack configuration. Is that correct?

What would be the best approach to get all the 3 stack members working,  from where it stands now - remove and re-provision member 3?

Thanks.

Yes, that is what I would do: remove and re-provision the new installed switch.

You may have to reboot that single switch.

HTH

Hello

1) detached the provision new switch

2) On the existing stack -
conf t
no switch x provision xxxxxx

3) On new switch -
switch x renumber 3
reload
switch 3 priority xx ( lower than the existing master)
shutdown

4) existing stack -
switch 3 provison xxxx

5)

Attached new switch and power up

Make sure new switch has the same ios and feature set

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card