Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace both Supervisor Engines on Cisco VSS pair

Ali Koussan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have a VSS pair with one SUP on each switch , I'm preparing for a task to replace  SUP on Switch 1 , and switch 2  , I'm trying to see what are my options to do this task , 

option1 : replace the SUP on both switches at the same time and built the VSS again , then apply the configuration  (this requires a maintenance window)

option 2 : replace the SUP on switch2 (using the procedure on  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-virtual-switching-system-1440/109334-replace-vss-sup-proc-v1.html)  , then do it again for Switch 1.

if anyone did this change before , please share you experiences ,any ideas will be helpful.

regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Copy the configuration and the existing IOS into an external CF.  

Copy-and-Paste a VSS configuration is very "risky".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My personal opinion is to rebuild the VSS.

Thanks Leo , 

This is what I was  thinking also , to do a clean VSS configuration, I was more concerned about the configuration after the rebuild,  is it better to just copy the config file using tftp or copy the running config directly to the VSS CLI. , our VSS contains huge configuration with multiple routing protocol , filtering , MPLS , security ...etc , so if I chose to just copy the config and paste on the  VSS cli , I need to know the correct order ,of each set of commands , for example , I need to paste the Ip prefixes and acl before the route map command ..etc .

anyway , thanks for your advice.

Copy the configuration and the existing IOS into an external CF.  

Copy-and-Paste a VSS configuration is very "risky".

Thank you very much for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card