cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement 2851 router configuring

gmarti5147
Level 1
Level 1

I have received a replacement router and have used the default login ID and password. The next prompt indicates your name and attempts to check the network what is this for?

4 Replies 4

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

is it asking your credentials while logging to user mode or privilege mode?

can u post the exact message you are getting while attempting to login.

if the router you have received is having factory default setting, then it shouldn't ask you any username and password in user mode. However in privilege mode, it prompt for the passoword which is blank by default.

from your posting, it looks like that already there is some config on the router due to which it prompt you to enter login credentials.

It will ask you for an initial username , this seems to be the default at least on the 2800 series , I forgot what they called it , you just need to enter it once , I think it was just cisco, username and cisco password . I have found the only way to get rid of this annoying feature it to a write erase and reload the box to get this to operate like a normal out of the box router .

Thank you for your reply.

What i realized is that after logging into the router "yourname" was actually the host name that I needed to enter/config. Once I went into the config mode and named the host what it should be the "yourname" was not there and then diplayed the router name I assigned it.

Thank You

Hi friend,

By default all the ISR routers are shipped with a username and password and an annoying banner.

As glenn has posted it is Cisco & pass cisco

To remove this you can enter the following command after logon.

no username cisco & no banner login

I have also seen that the ISR routers have an access-list applied to the VTY lines by default which allows only networks 10.10.10.0/24. You might want to remove this configuration if you want this router to be configured remotely.

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card