cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a non-redundant Sup 720 on C6500

jim_berlow
Level 3
Level 3

We have a single Sup 720 installed in a Cat 6513 which has failed (and is creating a number of problems). I've worked with TAC and have a brand new Sup 720 to replace it with. Both the MSFC and PFC versions are the same between the existing and new.

Here's my question - can I just insert this new Sup 720 into the redundant slot, let it sync the config, and then force a failover? Or am I going to have some kind of a problem since the existing one has already failed (show module shows it has failed)?

Thanks,

Jim

2 Replies 2

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

it won't sync the config if the primary sup has failed. Remove bad SUP, put new one in, copy paste config

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Jim,

I would say it would depend on how faulty and what the issue is with your current SUP. You could always give it a shot (since you probably have already planned downtime anyways). Just make sure you have a backup config.

A while back I was able to do what you are planning to do and it worked fine for me. Although the issues were rather minor it was still accomplished.

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco