Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing entire stack hardware

hickenjr1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have a stack of two 3750G switches using ios version 12.2(35)SE5.

I am planning on expanding this stack to three switches.

I have ordered 3 3750X switches.

My plan is to replace this entire stack with the new switches, and then use the older switches to expand some other stacks I have.

My question is about moving the existing stack configuration to the new stack.

I believe the base ios version on the 3750X's in 12.2(55)SE.

Can I create a new 2 switch stack, restore the config from the existing stack, and have it work just like the old stack?

I would then add the third switch to expand the stack.

Would this work even though the ios versions are slightly different?

Is there a better way to do this without reconfiguring the switch from scratch?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since you going from one 3750 model to another one, it should work just fine.  Copy and and paste portion of the config and watch for any error message being produced (if any) go back and fix the error massage and than copy and paste some more and so on.

Overall, there should not be that many command changes between these to IOS images.

HTH

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

First of all what type is the 3750x ? if it is lanbase there might/will be problems depending on how the 3750g are set up.

and if they are lanbase then you can not stack them with the 3750g. if they are I would immediately go for an upgrade to ipbase so that you can get the powerstacking to work. 

This is how i would do it if there is room in the racks..

I would build the new stack in place next to the "old" stack

copy the configuration from the 3750G to the new stack

I would then configure things like powerstacking and how I would like that to work.

Then move the all the cables (check cable length before doing it).

That would give you downtime about the time it takes to move the cables from the old to the new stack.

Most things will work directly and those who does not you will notice long before you need to do the changeover and you will have plenty of time to fix any hickups before they become a problem..

Good luck

HTH

The switches just arrived today and they are ipbase.

I am going to copy the config to the new stack in the lab first to see if there are any errors that pop up.

Otherwise, it looks like I can upgrade all to IOS 15.0.1SE2.

That should solve any incompatability issues with the IOS.

Thanks!

Otherwise, it looks like I can upgrade all to IOS 15.0.1SE2.

Make sure you test this properly.  We just rolled-back our 3750X from 15.0(1)SE2 to 12.2(58)SE2 due to some surprises.

Soon-to-be-released 15.0(2)SE will be released in about 4 months time.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My question is about moving the existing stack configuration to the new stack.

I believe the base ios version on the 3750X's in 12.2(55)SE.

Can I create a new 2 switch stack, restore the config from the existing stack, and have it work just like the old stack?

I would then add the third switch to expand the stack.

That depends on the model of the 3750X.  If you have, say a 3750X-12S or a -24S then the minimum IOS will have to be 12.2(58)SE1.  Otherwise, the most "basic" IOS for the 3750X starts with 12.2(53)SE1.

Go through the Release Notes.  It'll tell you what minimum IOS you need on a particular model of the 3750-series family of switches.

Hello,

I wanted to ask a question regarding this (sorry for any 'necro posting' but figured I'd reply here instead of creating a new discussion).

We have 2 3750-G PoE ipbase switches that will be replaced with 2 3750-X PoE ipbase switches.  It seems like all we need to do is just copy the running-config to the new switches and be good to go right? 

The 3750-G switches have IOS version 15.0(1) SE2.

We have 2 3750-G PoE ipbase switches that will be replaced with 2 3750-X PoE ipbase switches.  It seems like all we need to do is just copy the running-config to the new switches and be good to go right?

Yeah.  It can be done.

The 3750-G switches have IOS version 15.0(1) SE2.

Hoooo boy.  Good luck on that version. It's one of the few IOS versions I avoid like a plague.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: