Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing switch hardware

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I need to replace SUP engine on Cat 4516 switch,with a new one.Can anyone help me know the procedure to do this & also how much outage time would it cause?

Would the config have any issues with this.

Thanks in advance!

9 Replies 9

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

If I were you, I would get a window of 30 minutes for this maintenance. I assume that you have a catalyst 4506 switch. I would have all the configurations ready before the upgrade. Then I would turn off the switch and replace the supervisor engine. Then turn on the power. The switch should be up in 5 minutes. After the switch is up, console into the supervisor engine and paste the configurations. Also, make sure to change VTP information.

You should be done in 10 minutes, but to be on safe side, ask for 30 minutes to perform this upgrade.

Its a 4516.I guess if they have 2 SUP engines on it, it would be hotswappable and wouldnt cause outage on config ..correct?How do i determine if there is one or two SUP engine..any command?

& would the process be different for 2 SUPengines.

By vtp info..do u mean before doin this i should put it in transparent mode and later to appropriate mode so that there is no vtp info overwritten.

Thanks!!

Hmm... the procedure will be a little bit more involved if there are two supervisor engines. You can use "sh mod" to see if there are two supervisor engines. By VTP information, i meant to make sure you have appropriate VTP domain and VTP mode.

Here is the output frm the command:

Chassis Type : WS-C4510R

Power consumed by backplane : 40 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type Model

---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------

1 6 Sup V-10GE 10GE (X2), 1000BaseX (SFP) WS-X4516-10GE

3 6 SFP, 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)V, Cisco/I WS-X4506-GB-T

4 6 SFP, 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)V, Cisco/I WS-X4506-GB-T

9 24 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45) WS-X4424-GB-RJ45

Does this mean it has only one SUP..how do i tell that frm output? and what if it has 2 SUP's?

OK, your chassis is a catalyst 4510R. And according to the information you provided, you only have 1 SUPervisor engine. Are you upgrading code on the supervisor engine or are you replacing the supervisor engine?

Replacing the SUP engine with newer one..

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your current supervisor engine, WS-X4516-10GE, has a compact flash slot. Copy your current config into the compact flash (if you can also copy your new supervisor engine's IOS into this, so much the better).

When the new supervisor card is in, slot the CF before you slide the new card in and interrupt the bootup process. Point the card to boot the IOS from the compact flash and then load the configuration.

That is great!but am sorry..i couldnt understand how to do this on the grounds.How did u know it has a compact flash ..from the output?

Can you brief me steps/commands to do this.

Thanks!!

All Supervisor blades have a compact flash. Maximum size of a compact flash would be 2Gb.

To copy a file from a TFTP server to the compact flash the command is "copy tftp:/// slot1:

Take note: slot1: is dependent on how your blade calls the compact flash slot. You can verify by doing the command "dir ?" and see if you can find it in the option.

During the bootup process, press the Ctrl+Break key and you should go into ROMmon mode. From here, you type "load_helper" followed by "flash_init".

From the ROMmon you can then boot from your compact flash by using the command "boot slot1:".

After the blade has booted up to the IOS of your choice, you just copy the config from the compact flash to your running-config by using the command "copy slot1:config.text runn". (I am presuming that the config file from your old blade, called config.text, has been saved into your compact flash.)

Does this make sense to you?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card