Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Request timed out when pinging other VLAN ip's on VLAN environment

Hi,

6509 - 1 No. with Sup-II of 2 No. standby also 3750(3 switchez stacked) hsrp configured. 22 VLANs are there configured & working for the past 2 yrz with no probz. since sterday after when i ping to the local gateway from any of the VLAN or any ip address from 1 vlan to other VLAN, once in every 20-30 ping reply, i get request timed out. if there is a loop, then it will affect only 1 particular VLAN, bcoz i hav already experienced such probz long time back, but this probz i am not getting any idea what could be, bcoz if i ping from the any vlan to other vlan i get request timed out, even when i ping my own gateway also i get request timed out, any help would be highly appreciated.

CPU,Back plane traffic is normal, any other trouble shooting method do i need 2 follow for identifying?

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: Request timed out when pinging other VLAN ip's on VLAN envir

I'm assuming the gateway is the HSRP VIP ?

Did you create different HSRP group number for each Vlan within the standby commands ?

I recommend doing one Vlan (different number from the rest) and verify if the request time-out issue goes away.

since 6509 supportz max 16 groupz for some groupz they r all same group number, but this is working fine for the past 2 yrz. k fine it this is the case how this is impacting the network with the "request timed out"?

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

It could be duplicate ARP entries within a Vlan or duplicate IP address.

Can you try what I suggested and then we move forward if it doesn't work ?

I recommend checking the ARP table on both the 6509 and 3750 and see if the src/dst ip that you are pinging have the same mac-address.

Hi Edison,

i tried the option which you told me, but ended up with the same result, but later in the mid night i have tried disconnecting each up link from the main switch, finally i could find that one of the switch was creating the probz when i tried disconnecting & connecting again, after removing that switch from the network & configured an alternate, the probz was solved. Thankz edison for ur trouble shooting method which u hav suggested, even though the solution which u hav told didn't solve my probz, but i would appreciate for the initiative for trouble shooting.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content