Views
Helpful
Replies

Requirement for NSF/SSO commands on standby or active supervisor on 4500

tdotvix1982
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I went through the configuration guide for 4500 series switches for NSF/SSO for failover between Sup's. I just wanted to know that that are we supposed to run the SSO command on both of the supervisors? Secondly, are we only supposed to run the nsf process under EIGRP on the secondary supervisor and routing peers and not on the primary supervisor? This is what I have understood from the configuration guides. Please do clarify on what devices and supervisor engines do we need to run these?

Stateful Switchover:

Router(config)# redundancy

Router(config)# mode sso

Non-Stop Forwarding:

Switch(config)# router eigrp as-number

Switch(config-router)# nsf

Thanks,

Vick.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You need to apply the SSO and NSF commands on the primary sup only.  If the two Sups are working and you are running in SSO mode, the configuration for both sups is only one and that is the one on the primary.  The 2 sups logically become one.  If SSO is working correctly, you usually don't even have access to the stand-by until the primary fails.

HTH

Oh great and what about the following commands:

Non-Stop Forwarding:

Switch(config)# router eigrp as-number

Switch(config-router)# nsf

Do we neet to apply them on other routers in the domain to make them NSF aware as well so that when they receive the neighbor's (4500 series) hello packet with the NSF bit on other router's in the domain understand that the supervisor has just restarted and needs to populate the routing table and re-establish its adjacencies without resetting the already existing adjacencies?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card