Views
Helpful
Replies

reset enable secret on 857

aconticisco
Level 2
Level 2

Hello is thi slink fine

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_password_recovery09186a00800942bc.shtml

and do I have to bring the interfaces up before I finally run copy run start

thanks

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes, the link should be fine also for your 857 router. And yes, you will have to bring up the interfaces and possibly review the entire running configuration before you store it back to NVRAM. The reason is that the command copy startup-config running-config simply adds the commands in the startup-config to the commands already present in the factory-default running-config but it does not replace it.

You may also try using the command configure replace nvram:startup-config that is actually created to solve this very issue - it will perform all necessary additions and deletions to the running-config to make it identical to the startup-config. You should not need to make any further corrections after using this command (except, of course, setting the enable secret anew). However, this command is supported only in more recent IOSes and may not be available on your router - but giving it a try certainly won't harm.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank You Peter,

so first I will try the command configure replace nvram:startup-config

If it works this command will avoid having to enable the interfaces and will only need to enable secret password and copy run start

In case the command is not available I have to do copy start run, enable interfaces, enable secret and finally copy run start

Is it fine like this as I want to make sure I do not lose the config as I do not have a backup of it !

Thank You

Hello,

Yes, you are correct. First, try the configure replace nvram:startup-config command and if that works, simply change the enable secret and store the configuration. If this command is not supported then use the copy startup-config running-config and after changing the enable secret, also make sure to activate all necessary interfaces.

In any case, you can make a backup of your current startup-config using the command

copy nvram:startup-config nvram:backup.txt

This will make a copy of your startup-config to the file backup.txt so you have a copy of it in case your modified configuration does not work as expected.

Best regards,

Peter

excellent will do so

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card