cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

restarting ssh service catalyst 6509

brad.thurston
Level 1
Level 1

what command do i use to restart the ssh service on a 6509?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brad

If we knew more about your situation we would be able to give better answers to your question. Are you saying that SSH was enabled on the 6509 and became disabled? and now you want to restart it? restarting SSH will probably depend on how it became disabled or stopped. It might have become disabled because the RSA keys were deleted or because one of the parameters on which they depend were changed (host name and domain name). I had a bug recently where a router would delete the RSA keys for some reason and SSH did not work until the RSA keys were re-generated. So if the RSA keys were deleted or became invalid the restart of SSH would be generation of new RSA keys.

Or perhaps SSH stopped because some command was issued. Perhaps something like the vty lines were configured with transport input that did not include SSH. If it were the result of some command, then restarting SSH would be changing or negating that command.

So perhaps you can explain to us a bit more about what you situation is and we might be able to be more help.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hmmm, wish i knew. Don't you love those? ssh was working hunky dory and came in this morning was about to config a vlan and ssh is not responding. I am getting a time out when trying to connect. nothing has changed in the config, logs show no reboots.

Just kinda lost myself as to what happened.

Brad

Do you have access to the switch? If so the output of sh ip ssh and of show crypto key mypubkey rsa (syntax may vary a bit depending on version of code) would be very helpful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card