Views
Helpful
Replies

restrict outbound traffic 2960x

Chris McCann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I am looking at trying to restrict outbound traffic bandwidth on a particular interface depending upon originating vlan/subnet.

So far I have looked at policing

police 5000000 100000 exceed-action drop matching traffic against a class-map/access list, then applying this to the interface on outbound. Is this doable ?

If anyone can advise an alternative way of restricting outbound traffic bandwidth based on originating vlan/subnet then please advise.

many thanks,

Chris.

3 Replies 3

gm2300061
Level 1
Level 1

I have implemented that on routers. Yes, that sould work I think, I did it but using Shaping on outgoing traffic instead.

Depending on what you want, CBWFQ (queueing) could be the best choice if it is to manage the outgoing traffic.

ok thanks,

Shaping, using SRR-bandwidth ? Never done that before.

Will read up on CBWFQ.

What is the best way to test afterwards, so if I hammer the interface I can see packets dropped.

thanks,

Shapping makes a "slow queue" and work with classes as well. I used it to slow down all the traffic going to my ISP.
If you Issue the command: show policy interface you can see how it Works: The length of the queue, the drop rate (because of full queue). The same with policying. Shapping can´t be applied for incoming traffic.

CBWFQ reserves some bandwith for the class you want. Let´s say that it makes a sort of "fast queue" for some traffic. It only Works for outgoing traffic as well.
Remember that Im talking about routers. Hopefully switches do the same.
Good luck!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card