cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

restrict vlan bandwidth?

rhopkins_nci
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to limit bandwidth per vlan on catalyst switches? Looking for something simple instead of qos. I noticed conf t->int vlan #->bandwidth #, is this right? For instance, how could I restrict to 256K? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The bandwidth command won't restrict traffic when implemented under the interface.

The bandwidth command will buffer traffic when used under Modular QoS.

The answer to your question depends on the type of switch used. Every switch has its limitation on the type of QoS you may implement.

Per-Vlan queueing is quite tricky as most traffic do not actually traverse the SVI (Switched Virtual Interface) but they are actually fast switched from ingress to egress switchport.

__

Edison.

Thanks for the heads up Edison, this is a catalyst 4503 supII+TS, is there any simple way to restrict a vlan to 256K? Thanks again.

I suggest exploring the QoS documentation on the 4500 and see what are your options:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/37sg/configuration/guides/qos.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card