Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Return to start-up config on ME3400

Dear All ,

Next days I will perform mayor changes on my me3400 switch which concentrate 100% of my customers traffic.

I need to apply many configuration lines , and I would like to have a "roll-back" plan in case the resulting config dont work as expected , so my questions are:

First I would like to check if is there any differences between the current config with the start-up config.

Is this ok ?

me3400#show archive config differences

Second , if Iwould like to write current config to start-up I should do :

copy running-config startup-config  ?

Third and last ,

Lets suppose after applying many lines, the resulting config is not working properly so I want to rollback to the start-up config .....

What is the correct command to issue this ??

Any help or advice about itwould be preciated

Regards,

Leandro.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

2)If there are some differences , then copy to start-up config :

copy running-config startup-config

I would exercise caution with this as there could be changes done in the past (that were not saved) to make your appliance work.  You may as well say:  If there are differences, save the config.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You've got a few options.  But before I elaborate, I need to know if you have a valid TFTP server.

Dear Laohoo , Im not following you ....

About tftp server : Yes I can reach one from my me3400.

Eventhough I don`t undestand what do you need the server for.

Im  only asking for the right command to get back to configuration stored  in memmory (which I know is working) , in case the lines I applyied don't work.

I hope being clear enough, anyway thanks for your response.

Leandro.

Eventhough I don`t undestand what do you need the server for.

You can configure the appliance to "auto save" the config to either on the flash or on to a TFTP server.  My recommenation is to use the TFTP server.

So before you start, you save your config.  The appliance will then send a copy of the config file to your TFTP server.

Ok, you've got that cleared.

This is where I tend to do my stuff ...

In a notepad, I would put all my configuration changes in.  Save the notepad, like "BLAH.TXT".  On your switch, put an "escape clause" like "reload in 10" (means reload in 10 minutes).

Copy the BLAH.TXT from your TFTP to the switch's running-config.  If everything goes well, then you save the config.  If not, then wait for about 9 to 10 minutes for the switch to reload.

At any which case, if your switch config should fail, you have the latest config stored safely.

archive

log config

logging enable

hidekeys

path tftp:///$h-

write-memory

time-period 10080

Recommend you use a UNIX/Linux-based TFTP server to store the configuration files.  You will run into some problems if you use MS because the configuration saved will be in this syntax:  Switch_name-Month-Day-Hour-Minues-Second-Timezone-version

Nice advice !!! Thks Mr Laohoo , but Im steel looking for the  command to go back to start-up config without restarting the device.

Thks Mr Laohoo , but Im steel looking for the  command to go back to start-up config without restarting the device

The script above will let you backup the config.  There script above has two methods incorporated:

1.  Anyone who saves the config will invoke the sub-command to save the config to the TFTP server nominated;

2.  If no one has saved the config for a week (time-period 10080) then the appliance will automatically save the config into the TFTP server nominated

I think I found what I was looking for , it is :

copy startup-config running-config

so , this command should revert all the changes and go back to the working config.

The complete preceadure would be:

1) Check that current running config is the same that start-up config:

show archive config differences

3)Apply al the lines and make all needed changes.

4) If something goes wrong I can go back with.

copy startup-config running-config.

About your advice:

It is not wat I needed but It seems to be a good idea , I used to backup my config  manually with:

copy startup-config scp:leandro@3.3.3.3:/home/leandro

but your method introduces automatization ... I will take it.

Thanks a lot !!!

Leandro.

I would exercise caution with this as there could be changes done in the past (that were not saved) to make your appliance work.  You may as well say:  If there are differences, save the config.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Leandro.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card