Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Ring topology - EIGRP, MetroEthernet, other?

Hi All,

I'm on the design phase for a project that must provide the following:

- Ring-based topology

- 3 independent rings, sharing the same Access Router among them

- Interconnect 12 buildings on the same ring (this is the biggest one)

- Each building will generate ~50 Mbps traffic

- The network must transport mission critical control applications, video surveillance, regular data

- Most cost-effective infrastructure

- Tha backbone will run at 10G

B1<-->B2<-->B3<-->B4<-->B5<-->B6<-->B7<-->B8<-->B9<-->B10<-->B11<-->B12<-->Access Router 1

||                                                                                                                                                ||

=================================================================Access Router 2

I've been evaluating several options like:

- EIRGP: Cheapest and preferred option, however it seems that EIGRP has some scalability restraints when used in a ring.

- MetroEthernet: May be used as a L2 transport and run EIGRP on top of it, a little bit more complex but nothing to worry about.

- SDH: Totally new for me.

- SRP/DPT: Totally new for me.

Depending on the chosen technology it will be considered as a LAN or WAN topology.

Which benefits/considerations must be taken into account to chose the most appropiate technology? What is your recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

Regards!

JS

• LAN Switching and Routing
Views
Helpful
Replies