Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP and BGP Route Redistribution

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Hey guys,

Let's say I have one router, that has a BGP peer (which is for MPLS L3 VPN) and running RIP as well, and only advertising the LAN network.

Now here is the following configuration.

Router

--------

router rip

version 2

no auto

redistribute connected

redistribute static

network 2.0.0.0 (Lan interface is 2.2.2.0/29) In this example

redistribute bgp metric 3

router bgp 64518

redistribute rip

Now, I would assume, that sence, during redistribution, the router will only redistribute from the routing table and not the "topology database",

that, when I redistribute rip into bgp, it's going to take all the routes in the routing table, that are marked (R). Sense, the connected and static routes

will have an Administrative Distance of 1 and 0, they will beat out the RIP routes and will not be redistributed into BGP.

I'm just making sure my assumption is correct?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Yes  a router can only redistribute what is in the Routing table so your Rip installed routes will get redistributed but not your connected and static entries which will be advertised by RIP and installed as such on RIP peers.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Yes  a router can only redistribute what is in the Routing table so your Rip installed routes will get redistributed but not your connected and static entries which will be advertised by RIP and installed as such on RIP peers.

Regards

Alain

Thanks Cadet, that's kinda what I thought. Sometimes it's nice to have a 2nd opionion every now and then.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card