cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP and VLANs

basim.khoja
Level 1
Level 1

We have Nexus 7k running as my core with a 6500 manageing my server farm and IP services servers (call manager, IPTV ...)

My edge switch are 4500s

We currently have RIP2 running between and the switchs and each 4500 is managing its own VLANs.

The IPTV uses IGMP snooping and multicasting to broadcast the video feed. The problem that came up is that the we cannot configure a gatewar for the setup boxs for the IPTV system. They will only work on a single VLAN and they are spread all over the network.

Can we configure only this VLAN to be propgated over our RIP network???

2 Replies 2

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I may not understand your problem correctly. Possibly a good diagram of your setup can clarify things.

But waht is the problem to extend single VLAN for your setup boxes among all edge switches. You just need put those boxes in same L2 VLAN, trunk those  age switches and this VLAN to your distribution and configure HSRP there - and make virtual ip to be GW for all those boxes. If HSRP is not an option than you can assign ip to SVI on any of distribution switches and L2 will switch packets to it without any need for RIP in between.

Niik

HTH,
Niko

If you want to use a dedicated Vlan for the IPTV, create a static route that will match the subnet of your IPTV vlan  to the interface that forward the traffic from your network and redistribute the static route to all other enabled rip devices.

Eugen

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card