Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RIPv2 - Default-Originate VS Redist Static

I ran into some contradicting information that I read in the CCIE R&S book by Wendell Odom, regarding RIPv2 and the default-information originate command. I'm wondering if this changed with v12.4 mainline ...

The book states that if you use the default-information originate cmd with RIP, it will NOT inject a default route IF you have a static default route in your routing table.

So I set this up in my lab, running 12.4 on all my routers. I have a static default route in my routing table, yet when I configured the default-information originate cmd under rip, it still injects a default route.

After configuring both the redistribute static command and the default-info originate to advertise equal metrics for both of the default-routes, RIP seems to prefer the redistributed static default route over the default-info orignate default route.

default-info originate is easier to use because I don't have to filter other static routes.

Is this an acceptable configuration for RIP using v12.4 if you were grading a CCIE R&S lab exam?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content