Views
Helpful
Replies

RIPv2 propagate a default route, not on all interface

jpcapobianco
Level 1
Level 1

hi i've a question about RIPV2,

i want to advertise my network, on one of my interfaces, but i don't want that the DEFAULT ROUTE to be propagated.

is that possible ?

ex:

INTERFACE FASTETHERNET0/0 = has to advertise the ripv2 networks but not the default route.

the deult route will be propagated on the other intefaces.

i hope that is clear...

11 Replies 11

rais
Level 7
Level 7

This can be done using distribute-list out command.

HTH

can you tell me how can i stop the DEFAULT ROUTE to be propagated on one fastethernet interface ?

Hi Joseph,

This would be one way of doing it:

ip prefix-list NoDefRoute deny 0.0.0.0/0

ip prefix-list NoDefRoute permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 32

!

router rip

distribute-list prefix NoDefRoute out FastEthernet0/0

Best regards,

Peter

i'm trying to use it in packet tracer 6 but i don't undestand in which mode i have to use the IP PREFIX-LIST, can you help me ?

Joseph,

A prefix list is always configured in the global configuration mode. However, I strongly doubt that the Packet Tracer supports prefix lists or distribute lists at all.

Best regards,

Peter

yes i think so, but i can create access list in packet.. is there a way to do the same thing with the ACCES LIST ?

Hi Joseph,

In that case, this would be the solution:

access-list 1 deny 0.0.0.0

access-list 1 permit any

!

router rip

distribute-list 1 out FastEthernet0/0

Would you mind testing it and letting me know if it worked?

Best regards,

Peter

packet tracer 6 does not support DISTRIBUTE-LIST command,

the only command that i have is IP ACCESS GROUP on the INTERFACE Fastethernet.

can i use this ?

Hello Joseph,

If the Packet Tracer does not support the distribute-list command then there is no way of accomplishing your requirement. The problem is that what you need to filter here is the contents of routing updates, not their flow. An ACL applied to an interface filters the flow of packets based on their headers, but it does not filter (i.e. modify) their contents.

I am sorry to disappoint you. Perhaps you could consider moving over to GNS3 that runs real IOS to do your training work. Packet Tracer is a wonderful tool but it is focused on CCNA level of training and it intentionally does not implement all IOS features, and even the features that are implemented are actually written anew, not retaken from IOS, so their true behavior may actually differ from how IOS behaves, although creators of Packet Tracer try to be as close to the IOS behavior as possible.

Best regards,

Peter

ah ok i undestand... but maybe i've solved my issue.

the problem was that i did't want a router (the one with RIPV2) to send the DEFAULT ROUTE to onother router connected to an ISP (the one with EIGRP and Ripv2),

but it's not a problem if i receive the default route from RIPV2 because in the ROUTING TABLE of the EIGRP the default route that i receive from RIP it's not installed because it has a highter AD.

so i think it's ok...

i hope packet will support this command in the future because is very usefull.

thanks.

I send you a picture to explain

Hi Joseph,

You are welcome.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card