cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RJ 21

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

I started a new position and I am seeing devices like Cisco Switches, routers with RJ21 connectors and I wonder what would be involve if we decide to change to rj45 and fiber blades/ports?

thx,

Masood

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

manmeetmarwah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Masood,

RJ 21 connectors are basically having 50 pins in a single connector, thus usually these connectors are used to connect Ethernet ports in bulk from a switch with RJ-21 ports to a CAT-5 or CAT-6 rated patch panel, or between two patch panels.i.e. each connector can support upto 12 ethernet ports thus you can save a lot of cabling, space and may be cost too.

If you decide to change them to RJ-45 or fiber ports, you need to change the cabling, cards on routers and switches and probably more space and cost would be involved in doing so.

* Pls rate if helps.

Manmeet

In case

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

manmeetmarwah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Masood,

RJ 21 connectors are basically having 50 pins in a single connector, thus usually these connectors are used to connect Ethernet ports in bulk from a switch with RJ-21 ports to a CAT-5 or CAT-6 rated patch panel, or between two patch panels.i.e. each connector can support upto 12 ethernet ports thus you can save a lot of cabling, space and may be cost too.

If you decide to change them to RJ-45 or fiber ports, you need to change the cabling, cards on routers and switches and probably more space and cost would be involved in doing so.

* Pls rate if helps.

Manmeet

In case

Thanks man. it did answer my question.

Masood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card