cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Root port

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

I have two switches A and B connected together through two trunks A1  ---- B1, and A2 ---- B2. present the root bridge is A, and all the ports  are forwarding. As for B, the root port is B1, and B2 in blocking. My  question is how do I make B2 forwaing on B. On my lab I reduced the cost  of B2 on B from 19 to 10, and it works. Bu on cisco site, I was told  you will reduce the cost of A2 on A for B2 to be the root port on B.  Please assist.

5 Replies 5

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You can make it but in that case the B1 will be in blocking. STP has to break the loop somewhere on the non-root bridge.

Check this for further info: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00800ae96a.shtml

If you want both in forwarding better to setup an etherchannel.

Hope this helps, rate if does

Krisztian

Kerek,

Thanks for the reply. What I need is clearification. If I want B1 to be blocked, where will I do the cost manupilation ? on switch A or B. Thats the question.

Hi,

You can either change cost on B or port-priority on A.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Thanks guys, I just lab it, and it worked . You'v just made my day . lol.

Idowu Kehinde

CCNA

CCNP

CCIP

CCIE (written)

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM, letian

How did you manage to pass the IE written (or even CCNP) without knowing  the answer?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco