cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Redistribution Problem

bgl-group
Level 1
Level 1

I have a strange problem with route resdistribution. I am running BGP as my egp and OSPF internally.

I have multiple sites all connected by BGP. I also have cisco ASA firewalls which connect to the network via OSPF.

The problem is that the firewalls are failing to route traffic to a site other than the one they are connected to. Route redistribution has been set up but doesn't appear to be working.

When viewing a route from one of the core switches we get the following report.

BRE-CABH-CORE01#sh ip route 172.29.80.0

Routing entry for 172.29.80.0/21

Known via "bgp 64550", distance 200, metric 5

Tag 64521, type internal

Redistributing via ospf 1

Last update from 192.168.255.5 1w2d ago

Routing Descriptor Blocks:

* 192.168.255.5, from 192.168.255.2, 1w2d ago

Route metric is 5, traffic share count is 1

AS Hops 4

Route tag 64521

Now reading this I would expect that an ospf node would see the route being advertised as an E2 route.

The problem is it doesn't appear (the ospf output is attached). I have also attached the routing code from the core for both OSPF and BGP and the firewall setup code as well.

I am slightly confused here...

6 Replies 6

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I think you have the BGP command :-

bgp redistribute-internal missing

under your router bgp config

Thanks I will have a look at that and try it out of hours - possibly no risk to the network but would feel safer doing it then...

You are also missing the 'subnets' keyword on your BGP redistribution, this is required so allow classless networks through

Cheers

Hi

Did this work ??

I am not able to test this yet. I can't get a change window until 6AM on Friday but will let you know once the code is in place.

In a word no.

Once the commands were loaded we had a routing loop in the network which killed all of the external sites via BGP as well. This was after I put a cost of 200 on the redistributed routes to try and keep the new data suppressed and not overriding the main routing table.

Having to rethink and replan this one now.

Giles

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card