Views
Helpful
Replies

Route statements in Catalyst 4506

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

Im trying to figure out a config in a 4506 and I have the following statements which I really want to know what they exactly mean;

router ospf 100

log-adjacency-changes

network 10.242.2.0 0.0.0.255 area 0.0.0.0

network 10.242.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 0.0.0.0

etc..

I want to disect these statement

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

The area 0.0.0.0 is equivalent to just "area 0". OSPF uses the concepts of areas which allow for a hirearchy. All areas connect to area 0 and traffic from one area to another within the same OSPF domain will go through area 0.

The network statements tell the router which interfacces to run OSPF on. So in your example above any interfaces with an address from the range

10.242.2.1 -> 254 or

10.242.10.1 -> 254

will run OPSF on that interface. Key thing to note is that these are not telling OSPF which networks to advertise but which interfaces to run OSPF on.

The log-adjacency changes means pretty much what it says, log any adjacency changes. Adjancencies are formed between OSPF speaking routers and once formed LSA's are exchanged.

HTH

Jon

Can you provide a link where I can do some quick readings about this? You mention "domain", which I assume should be something like a logical grouping of those areas?? or VLANs??

When you say "all areas" do you mean all networks? all VLANs?

What's the benefit for this?

I really think this 4506 config is not right though

Hi

A domain or Autonomous system would indeed be a grouping of OSPF areas under the adminisrative control of one organisation.

Areas are a different concept to vlans. Attached is a link to a PDF which gives a good overview of OSPF. Have a read and feel free to come back with any other questions.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/tech/tk480/c1550/ccmigration_09186a0080187c6d.pdf

HTH

Jon

Take a look a this config. I need some help in telling what is wrong with this.

From a design perspective, what are good points that we can come up with?

forgot to attach the config

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: