cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router as NTP server

snooter
Level 1
Level 1

So, about three months ago I set our 1751 router as the NTP server of our domain for both our AVVID phone system and our Microsoft Active Directory domain. Been working excellent up until last night. Our company's building had a power cycle and the router got rebooted. Not a huge issue, since it's actually been rebooted a couple of times since becoming the ntp server.

After it's reboot, the time somehow jumped ahead an hour according to all the devices that sync with it. Phone calls stopped working and Active Directory pretty much became useless.

I finally had to break all the devices off of syncing with the router and set them back to the way they were (phone servers sync with each other, active directory doesn't sync with anything externally). It took a few hours to get everything stable again, and I'm still working on parts this morning.

My concern is, why the heck the time jump ahead an hour on our Cisco Router?

Here's what I've had setup now for three months, we're in Central Standard Time:

ntp clock-period 17179971

ntp master

ntp server 69.26.112.120

and I set the "clock timezone CDT -6"

It's been like that for three months and everything was fine till last night when it went out of wack.

Anyone seen this before, or anything like it with using a router as an NTP server?

15 Replies 15

Ivo

Specifying the dates for daylight savings, as Kevin illustrates, is an option and is not required. You can configure the router to use the default start and end dates for daylight savings. Some localities do not use the standard default start and end dates for daylight savings and so Cisco provides the option to specify what dates you want the router to use.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card