Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Router backplane issues

I have recently heard that when using a 4 port switch module on a router that you need to connect one of the ports directly to one of the router ports in order to bypass the backplane as there is a known issue of packets being dropped when you use the backplane directly.  Is this true?  If so, why?

2 REPLIES

I haven't heard of this sort

I haven't heard of this sort of thing at all. In almost all cases, you want to use the backplane because it will provide more aggregate bandwidth to the switch ports and won't waste two physical ports. I have hundreds of installations using four-port switch modules and all of them work well without any connectivity issues.

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It would depend on the switch module, router and router port.  Many ISRs, especially older series, have limited backplanes but they also often have bandwidth limitations to their module ports (generally not well documented).

That noted, unsure connected a module interface port to a router port (especially if not a built-in port).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content