cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router boot failure

xhackuss1
Level 1
Level 1

I have this Cisco 1721 router that was running the c1700-y7-mz.122-8.T10.bin image.I needed a G703 controller card for a connection to my ISP and so tired upgrading the image of the router to c1700-ipbase-mz.123-6c.bin . Upon upgrade when I reloaded the router, I was sent to the rommon mode. Can anyone help me on how to boot into the router as normal?

2 Replies 2

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is there any error message during the boot procedure? It can cause that you don't have enough memory to load the new IOS into RAM if this is the problem modify the IO memory usage with iomemset rommon command or try to set the confreg 2102 in rommon and we will see.

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Yahaya

I believe that FCS has asked an important first question: what messages are generated to the console during the boot process. It is likely that there is an error message that will identify the problem. If you will boot the router, capture the console messages, and post them then we can give you better help.

I also agree with FCS that a likely cause is lack of resources for the new image. It looks to me like that release probably requires 16MB of flash and 48 MB of memory. Can you verify that your router has at least that much flash and memory?

Also in checking on this I looked at the Cisco software download page. I see that the 12.3(6c) image is no longer available. And there are software advisories posted against the 12.3(6d) and 12.3(6e) versions. Their advice is if you want 12.3(6) to load 12.3(6f). It is possible that the problems with the version that you are trying to run may contribute to your issue. It might be worth loading this version if your router has sufficient resources to support it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card