Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Router & Cisco catalyst 2950 managed by the ISP: can I use VLANs with a SG300 switch?

Hello,

Our router is located at the ISP level. In our server room, we have a cisco catalyst 2950 switch that is also managed by our ISP (we don't have access to it).

Our project is to create 2 VLANs. I already set up a test environment with

- a windows server that is acting as DHCP server

- a SG300-52 switch with 2 VLANs

- a second cisco SG200-52 for the second VLAN

In my test environment, everything is working fine. I also tested with a third VLAN and can get IPs from the windows DHCP server.

I also have access to the internet by using a router that is apart of our LAN, that purpose is to give from time to time wifi access to guests. It is a simple zyxel router butI had to configure static routes on it for each VLAN (I don't understand why).

I have 2 questions about this setup:

1) do we need access to the router and switch provided by our ISP to use VLANs or plugin our SG300 switch (configured with VLAN, routing, as I already did) into the ISP switch will be enough? How should I do and why?

2) I didn't understood why I had on my test environment to set back routes on the zyxel router to get access to internet as intervlan is working on the SG 300: I though that the zyxel router would only forward the traffic to the SG300 switch and that this switch, with routing working, would do the job alone.

Thank you

Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content