cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Locking UP

vanagon2tdi
Level 1
Level 1

I have two routers connected together and one of them occasionally (every two weeks or so) locks up.

By 'locks up' I mean, I cannot ping the interface 10.10.10.3 from anywhere but if I am on the connected router 10.10.10.1 I can telnet to 10.10.10.3? Once on the router no traffic will leave the router, out any interface. All interfaces are up up, and I don't see any errors counted. The only way to solve the issue is to reset router 10.10.10.3.

There is also another router connected to 10.10.10.1 which is 10.10.10.2 and it is setup exactly the same as 10.10.10.3 and is the same router same IOS and it does not have this issue.

10.10.10.1---------10.10.10.3

|___________10.10.10.2

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Looks like a troubleshooting scenario.

1. Enable logging (if not enabled already - use "logging buffered 128000 debugging" for example)

2. Check the log. It has to say something if something happened.

3. Check routing relations if you are running interior gateway protocol.

It could be anything. Bad backplane, failing controller, errors on the interface and so on.

We had a problem with 3750s with 12.1(19)EAB IOS. It had a bug - when you connected 10Mbps device to it's 10/100/1000 ports after a while the Ethernet controller would fail and would not be able to send anything out of any interface.

I will certainly enable the logging.

No routing enabled, we only have a default route to 10.10.10.1.

I suspected a hardware issue, so I had Cisco send out a new router.....and then two weeks (or so) later the same thing happens.

Very frustrating!

I also tried bouncing the interfaces on both router (I have console access to it when this happens) and that does not fix it.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card