cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Module Ternminology

Neuromancer
Level 1
Level 1

Anybody know what the diff. is between "Network Modules" and "Port-Adapters", as in NM-4E and PA-4E. Only thing I could find is that on the 7200 then are reffered to as PA and on the branch routers it's NM.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi chris,

You are almost right.. on the 7200 & 7500 series routers, we have 2/4/6 slots for the WAN ports to terminate.. such modules are called as the port adaptors.. PA's are normally higher end adaptors used in such routers.. Network modules fit in to low end routers like 1800/2800/3800 etc... They also can accomodate WAN circuits like T1/E1/DS3/Ethernet etc... I guess it has to do more with the naming convention of Cisco...

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi chris,

You are almost right.. on the 7200 & 7500 series routers, we have 2/4/6 slots for the WAN ports to terminate.. such modules are called as the port adaptors.. PA's are normally higher end adaptors used in such routers.. Network modules fit in to low end routers like 1800/2800/3800 etc... They also can accomodate WAN circuits like T1/E1/DS3/Ethernet etc... I guess it has to do more with the naming convention of Cisco...

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Thanks for the reply!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card