Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router on a stick config cant ping

I'm trying to build a router on a stick and cant figure out why nothing is pingable. I cant even ping from the switch to the client.

Clients have their respective ip's 10.1.10.2 and 10.1.20.2 and correct default gateways configured and the port from the switch to the router is trunked. On the switch vlans 10 and 20 are created and up. Everything on the router looks ok. Can anyone help on what the problem is? I cant ping from any device ot any other device. Thanks.

SWITCH

sw.JPG

ROUTER

router.JPG

router1.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Switch

The switch interface connecting to you router - this needs to be a trunk interface - would that be fa0/3  in your post and is it running dot1q  encapsulation?

Also make sure the switch its running as a host siwtch ( ip default-gateway x.x.x.x ) and doesnt have ip routing enabled.

Router-

int fa0/1.2

encapsulation dot1q 20

ip address 10.1.20.1 255.255.255.0

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello

Switch

The switch interface connecting to you router - this needs to be a trunk interface - would that be fa0/3  in your post and is it running dot1q  encapsulation?

Also make sure the switch its running as a host siwtch ( ip default-gateway x.x.x.x ) and doesnt have ip routing enabled.

Router-

int fa0/1.2

encapsulation dot1q 20

ip address 10.1.20.1 255.255.255.0

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes, it was the Router, I didnt know that the number after the encapsulation dot1q 20 - had to be the vlan id number!

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card