cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router's Tolerance to Vibrations and EM Fields

adgoandaga
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, one of our clients is building a datacenter very close to another datacenter they have, where Cisco routers are already working. They have to dig with drills and they are asking us about vibration tolerance levels and electromagnetic induced fields that the routers can support; in general, the recommendations and practices to take care of the equipment (i.e. Do the routers have to be turned off?, etc..).

I know this is a very open question so any information you can provide us will be welcomed.

Thank you very much.

5 Replies 5

arififtikhar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Not sure about vibrations..haven't checked yet...but for EM field router doesn't affect much. The only affect that we could feel will be due to UTP/copper cables. If replaced by fibre could solve the problem.

Regards,

Arif

I really aprecciate your response, i'm aware of the copper/fibre issue with EM noise generated but i'm looking for a bit more specific data.

Again, thank you for your help.

jphilope
Level 3
Level 3

I'd be more worried about dust. In a former position, we had a facility renovated that contain a 7206 and several switches. They did not have any problems with the vibration or the magnetic fields. However, we spent a day and several cans of 'Air' cleaning them out afterwards.

Good point to have in mind.

Thank you.

For that kind of specialized info I suggest starting with your Cisco SE.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: