dstehle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need a T1 router with these specifications:

Maximum size - 16" x 9" x 4"

-40C to 70C operating temperature

T1 interface with CSU/DSU

Interoperability with Cisco IP multicasting.

AC or DC power

Qty. 5

network is T1 point-to-point

The Cisco1941 comes closest but it is too big. I'm hoping that someone in the forums know of another router that would fit the specs.

Thanks,

David

10 Replies 10

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

David,

May be a 1921 will suit

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps10589/data_sheet_c78-598389.html

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi David,

a T1 on a smaller router than a 1941 is quite a brave choice.. maybe to review your design and the computational needs/requirements before buying something smaller...

Alessio

The size of the 19XX is too big for my enclosure and the temp spec doesn't work. The application is low-bandwidth radar data so the router itself should work just fine.

The current network is 56DDS...telco is phasing that out and pushing everyone to T1 hence the change.

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

it is not only a computational issue. Check here for what you realy need and you will see that the 1921 is a quite "brave" choice...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10538/prod_series_comparison.html

There could be many needs/requirements that a simple 1941 could provide and there is no so much difference in the price..

Enjoy your 56DDS anyway!!!

Alessio

Alessio Andreoli wrote:

Hi David,

a T1 on a smaller router than a 1941 is quite a brave choice.. maybe to review your design and the computational needs/requirements before buying something smaller...

Alessio

No, that's not correct. The 2501 of 20 years ago was handling 2 T1s with no features just fine. All Cisco routers of today have no issue in handling multiple T1 with features enabled. Remember that T1 is a very slow interface.

Hi Paolo,

you could be right unless considering that the 2500 series was facing very different needs and requirements. A 2500 series for example could even host only serial and no ethernet cards but this is not what the internetworks today require for. My suggestion to David is from a scalability viewpoint and from a design perspective. The 1921 is nearly a solid config and doesn't leave many choices. Since the difference in price with the 1941 is very small, it makes much more sense to get a 1941 than a 1921.

The flexibility is what let survive historical routers like the 2600s or the 7200s. You can even notice the diference between the 2801 and the 2901.... It is the same reason that pushed me to suggest the 1941.

Nevertheless, i am sure David can decide the bes for his enterprise

Alessio

Actually, all 2500 series router had one or two LAN interface.

Going back to the present, one can be reassured even a small router like 1905 will handle one or more T1s without any problem.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/routers/ps10538/ps10820/data_sheet_c78-598372.pdf

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Perhaps an 819?

Perhaps an 819?

But it's a 3G router, not T1. To be true, not even the 1905 I've suggested above has native T1.

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Paolo Bevilacqua wrote:

Perhaps an 819?

But it's a 3G router, not T1. To be true, not even the 1905 I've suggested above has native T1.

It is, but data sheet notes:

WAN interfaces

• Wireless WAN with 3G, 3.5G and 3.7G speeds

• 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port

Cisco Smart Serial Interface (sync/async/bisync)

Serial WAN interface

• Support for both synchronous and asynchronous modes

• Synchronous maximum speed of up to 8 Mbps

• Asynchronous maximum speed of up to 115.2 kbps

• Support for bisync modes

• Support for network clock synchronization

Serial protocol support

EIA-232, EIA-449, EIA-530, EIA-530A, V.35, and X.21

Cisco Smart Serial Cabling

Cisco Smart Serial connectors and supported cables:

Product Number

CAB-SS-V35MT

CAB-SS-V35FC

CAB-SS-232MT

CAB-SS-232FC

CAB-SS-449MT

CAB-SS-449FC

CAB-SS-X21MT

CAB-SS-X21FC

CAB-SS-530MT

CAB-SS-530AMT

Cable Type

V.35 DTE

V.35 DCE

EIA/TIA-232 DTE

EIA/TIA-232 DCE

EIA/TIA-449 DTE

EIA/TIA-449 DCE

X.21 DTE

X.21 DCE

EIA/TIA-530 DTE

EIA/TIA-530A DTE

Length

10 ft (3m)

10 ft (3m)

10 ft (3m)

10 ft (3m)

10 ft (3m)

10 ft (3m)

10 ft (3m)

10 ft (3m)

10 ft (3m)

10 ft (3m)

Connector Type

Male

Female

Male

Female

Male

Female

Male

Female

Male

Male

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco