Views
Helpful
Replies

Router stuck in rommon mode

Vikrant Ambhore
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

I was trying  to upgrade my IOS software, cisco router 1861, unforunately i didnt check  for my flash memory  and as a result  the software crashed.

At  the  moment i am in ROMMON mode and cannot go back  to  the enable  mode. I have  changed to confreg 0x2102 but still after  reset it comes  back to ROMMON mode.

If someone would help  me, as  i want  to have  the procedure for deleting my previous IOS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please try to understand, I have Image in Flash card & insert on router, but how to load Image in Router from CF card in rommon mode

If you have an image in a valid CF, use the "boot" command from ROMmon.

monitor: command "Dir" not found
rommon 2 > dir flash
dir: missing device identifier.
dir: "dir" to get list of devices supporting filesystems.
rommon 3 >

The correct syntax is "dir flash:"

Readonly ROMMON initialized
loadprog: error - on file open
boot: cannot load "flash:c1861-adventerprisek9-mz.124-24.T.bin"

Try to boot your router and post the output.  I suspect one of the following issues:  the CF is faulty, the CF slot is damaged or the IOS uploaded is incomplete or corrupted.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have at least 2 options:

1.   How to Download a Software Image to a Cisco 2600 via TFTP Using the tftpdnld ROMMON Command

2.  Use a CF Card reader to copy an IOS image from your client to the CF.

NOTE:  ROMmon upload of IOS is "not" an option because you have an 1800 ISR G1.  (I mean, you could, but why bother and make things complicated?)

Hello leolaohoo,

Thanks for your reply,

I have plugged cat5 cable from 1861 to computer, although I saw LAN cable is unplugged.......... I need it for upload new IOS through TFTP

Please help  me ,

When we are following the steps to create a tftp connection with the remote computer, it appears to be there is no LAN connectivity at all.
Please help how to get my FastEthernet intefaces back running again in ROMMON mode so I can starrt recover my IOS files.

Regards

Hi Vikrant,

Please ensure we have a cross over cable to connect between the router port and PC, or PC should support auto-mdix. Other requirement is to use the first FastEthernet routed port for TFTPDNLD.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon_ps5853_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1070700

Also, send the output from Rommon:

-     set

Regards,

Deepak

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for your reply,

I think Cat5 cable is connect to Act7 Link, if i will swap to FE 0/0, it will work.

Have you tried Option #2?

Hello leolaohoo,

Thanks for your reply, Please try to understand, I have Image in Flash card & insert on router, but how to load Image in Router from CF card in rommon mode, i'm unable to see CF card in Rommon mode. also it appears to be there is no LAN connectivity at all. even after Connect CAT5 cable between TFTP server & Router  due to that i am unable to follow the steps to create a tftp connection,

please suggest

Hello,

Unable to yet I think you should understand very well for help me, I hope you will solve my issue.
pls check this
rommon 49 > dev
Devices in device table:
        id  name
    flash:  external compact flash

I entered above & got this, also when i tried to boot flash:c1861-spservicesk9-mz.124-20.T4.bin
because
rommon 1 > Dir flash:

rommon 2 > dir flash
rommon 3 >

I hope someboby help me on this issue.

hanks for your reply, Please try to understand, I have Image in Flash card & insert on router, but how to load Image in Router from CF card in rommon mode, i'm unable to see CF card in Rommon mode. also it appears to be there is no LAN connectivity at all. even after Connect CAT5 cable between TFTP server & Router  due to that i am unable to follow the steps to create a tftp connection,

2.  Use a CF Card reader to copy an IOS image from your client to the CF.

Hey man,

I have used your 2nd option but pls check i am getting error,

What error message are you getting?

Try this:

Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon

Pls check my above comment, & pls try to understand, I'm

very frustrated due ti this issue

Please try to understand, I have Image in Flash card & insert on router, but how to load Image in Router from CF card in rommon mode

If you have an image in a valid CF, use the "boot" command from ROMmon.

rommon 2 > dir flash
rommon 3 >

The correct syntax is "dir flash:"

Try to boot your router and post the output.  I suspect one of the following issues:  the CF is faulty, the CF slot is damaged or the IOS uploaded is incomplete or corrupted.

Thanks for your help, Issue has been solved, issue was in IOS, it was corrupted

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card