Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Router to router connections

I am a student and I have just started taking cisco courses. I can hardly wait to go back to school. I have bought from Ebay a 2610 and a 3620 router. The 3620 has a NM-E1 2W card and the other has a WIC 1DSU 56K. Since I bought these to learn from, and use in my home, I would like to connect the routers together. I can see I will need to purchase cards for the two routers to "talk" to each other, but what kinds? Do I need serial cards? What kinds of serial cards would be recommended? I would like something I can learn from, not just something I can plug together, type in a few commands and go.

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Router to router connections

You can connect the routers together as-is, using the NM-1E2W in the 3620 and the ethernet port on the 2610. You can also get a couple of WIC-1Ts and connect them that way as well. If you want to learn a bit more, I'd suggest adding another router or two, and a switch. My recommendations, a terminal server of some sort like a 2511 and a 2950 switch. There are quite a few different options depending on your budget.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

Thanks for for your answer.

I believe I will get the WIC-1T's for the two routers. I would like to try running the output of my ADSL modem through the two routers and connect the output through ethernet port to a switch. I am sure there are adapters to replace my modem.... but not yet.

Thanks again for your help

Bob

you're welcome! feel free to rate my posts. :)

have a good one.

-brad

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content