Views
Helpful
Replies

Router uptime

naveen_yummy
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

i will take the sh tech of router on every saturday. whenever i am checking the ver it shows the

uptime is 6 weeks, 3 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on.

before 3 months i didnt restart the modem manually.

this problem i am facing many times.

Is there is any software restart will happen? if yes means, for what purpose it will be get restart?

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rakhande
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Naveen,

The only way software would cause a restart would be a crash and more often than not, it would be because of a software defect.

Moreover, if it is a crash, it would be reflected in the sh ver. The reasons can change to

System returned to ROM by bus error

System returned to ROM by address error

System returned to ROM by watchdog timeout

etc

etc..

based on the root cause.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/iad/ps397/products_tech_note09186a00800b4447.shtml#types_of_crashes

If yo have not started the device manually, may be it faced a power failure that caused a restart 6 weeks back.

You mention facing the problem many times and whenever you chk sh ver, it shows same uptime?? Is this the issue that you face?

Could you attach the complete show version?

Regards,

Rahul

View solution in original post

I can't think of any commands right off that show the history of power-on's.

I would personally use a syslog server and just use a Find string of any unique text that is displayed during a reboot.  Quick & easy.         

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rakhande
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Naveen,

The only way software would cause a restart would be a crash and more often than not, it would be because of a software defect.

Moreover, if it is a crash, it would be reflected in the sh ver. The reasons can change to

System returned to ROM by bus error

System returned to ROM by address error

System returned to ROM by watchdog timeout

etc

etc..

based on the root cause.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/iad/ps397/products_tech_note09186a00800b4447.shtml#types_of_crashes

If yo have not started the device manually, may be it faced a power failure that caused a restart 6 weeks back.

You mention facing the problem many times and whenever you chk sh ver, it shows same uptime?? Is this the issue that you face?

Could you attach the complete show version?

Regards,

Rahul

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

I've seen some buggy ISR's... and typically where it says "returned to ROM by power-on" it will say something along the lines of system bus error, RAM error, etc.

Looks like you may just have a power issue...

These are really the only things that could be happening more than likely...

1.)  Someone has physical access to the box and flips the switch for the fun of it.

2.)  You are having power outages... BUT

3.)  BUT... you should be plugged into a UPS that gives adequate run time.  Maybe the UPS battery is dead?

4.)  Loose power cable that's being hit while someone is working in the rack?

hi adam.,

I think most probably there may be power interruption.

I will check it out that. Is there is any commands to check the history of power on?

I can't think of any commands right off that show the history of power-on's.

I would personally use a syslog server and just use a Find string of any unique text that is displayed during a reboot.  Quick & easy.         

Thank u adam and rahul.

From your points i think there is no software restart. It may be the power problem or some other physical device interruptions.

I will check and monitor that power issue then i will finally find the root cause.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card