cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing 2 IP spaces on one switch with one VLAN

clusterfsck
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4510 core and 3560 stacks at the edge. the mgt IP is 10.146.1.0/24, the VLANS are 10.146.x.1/24 and are assigned to each switch based on location.

many of the clients attached to these switches are 192.168.x.x and obviously won't go anywhere because they belong to a 10.146.x.1/24 VLAN. there are too many clients to place a separate VLAN on each port, so is there a way to let both addresses spaces see each other?

thanks,

Erik

4 Replies 4

Jacob-Harris
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried using a secondary IP on your routing interface?

int vlan xxx

ip address 192.168.x.x 255.255.255.0 secondary

Jacob,

unfortunately that won't work in this situation because things that are in 192.168.1.x are on several edge switches, and you can only assign a secondary IP to one vlan, and the other switches have other vlans.

somehow I have to figure out how to route all of the traffic from the 192.168.x.x and the various 10.146.x.x address spaces at the core (we are routing on a stick). the IP addressing currently is WAY messed up, which makes this very tough and we don't have time to re-ip all of the clients as this is a forklift install and we have nearly 800 nodes.

any thoughts?

thanks,

Erik

Trunk your vlans down to your switches , thats the only way I can think of . Make a layer 3 SVI for 192.XX space on the core and then trunk the vlans you need down to each 3560 switch . As I look at your note I would take a closer look at your setup , you say the management space for the switches at 10.146. , if you have devices int he 192.168. space already talking it may already be trunking . To have a separate management space and a 192.XX space on the switch it would have to trunking already . I would check with the "show int trunk " command . Otherwise on the 4506 add

conf t

vlan 168

interface vlan 168

ip address 192.168.1.X 255.255.255.0

no shut

Add vlan 168 to all your trunk links going to the 3560's.

The hard part will be putting all clients that currently have a 192.168 address into vlan 168 on the switchports but it should not take that long . The clients default gateway on the nics would then point to the layer 3 SVI that you created . This would then allow you to route them anywhere off the core box.

thanks all for your responses. We have done much testing in regards to this scenario, and there is, unfortunately, no real easy way to accomplish it without having to A) Re-IP a lot of machines around the building, or B) assign VLAN's to each interface based on the IP space that user is in.

I think at this point we are just going to set all clients around the building to DHCP and let the switch do the rest with help IP's.

thanks,

Erik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: