cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing and VLAN's

lee.a.connell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small network that is connected to the equipment managed by the landlord in our building.

I own and control an ASA which handles all of our routing and a 2960 switch. The landlord has a 4506 switch.

The landlord's switch connects to all of our cubicles for phone and data. The 4506 then has a default route pointing to their router. I have the 2960 plugged into the 4506. All the cubicles are able to get internet through our ASA.

I am confused as the 4506 does not have any trunk ports setup and the access ports are VLAN 14. I'm assuming it's taking that traffic, sending it to their router and then back down which somehow finds my ASA.  How is this working? The router just learns the MAC address of my ASA? What about them being in different VLAN's?

My ASA does not have VLAN 14 configured at all.  My native VLAN is 1.  How are access ports of VLAN 14 able to communicate with my ASA?

My ASA inside interface is 10.89.101.2/24 "VLAN1"

The 4506 VLAN 14 interface does not have an ip address assigned

The 4506 has a default route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.83.8.1

ASA -> 2960 -> 4506 -> 2800RTR

|               |___ PC/PHONE (VLAN 14,16) 

VLAN 1

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm a little confused. If your PCs and phones are in vlan 14 and 16, that would also mean that you have vlans 14 and 16 configured on the 2960. What is the ASA doing? You said that it handles your routing, but what are the PCs using for a default gateway? How is the port configured on your 2960 that connects to the 4506? The 4506 has to be trunked, or at least an access port and a voice vlan. How are the ports configured on the 2960 for your hosts that connect to the 2960?

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

John,

Thanks for your reply.  I know it is a bit difficult without configs. My computers and phones are connected to landlords 4506, vlan 14, voice 16. The ASA is our internet, the computers get DHCP from my windows box. So their gateway points to my ASA.

Believe it or not the 2960 was not trunked, it was acting like an unmanaged switch. The 4506 only has access ports on the line cards, one of them connects to the 2960.

Does this help?

Lee

You say in your last port that your computers and phones are connected to the 4500 switch so what is connected to the 2960 switch ?

You also say the ports on the 4500 are configured to be in vlan 14 but what about vlan 16 ?

It is difficult without configs but if the 4500 does not have an SVI then it is not being routed on that switch.

On the 4500 what vlan is the port the switch connects to in ?

More importantly what vlan is the port on the 2960 that connects to the ASA in ?

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: