Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Routing/Connecivity question

Hi, I have a Cisco Small Business - RVS4000 and I'm trying to use it to connect a server to

a domain configured to use non-public (10.1.1.x) addressing.

Before I get into the details, I thought I should get a possibly-crazy question out of the

way first:

Is it possible at all to create a connection for a device configured with a static-public IP

address to a non-public domain?

The reason I'm asking is because the server I'm trying to connect has multiple addresses

for it's NICs and it's RAID controllers and it's a royal pain to change all those addresses.

Just wondering if it's even possible or I just need to plan on re-IP'ng my server.

Thanks!

Joe

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Joe,

It appears you will need to implement Network Address Translation (NAT) [or possible Port Address Translation (PAT)] at the border - on the device(s) that sits between your Internet link and your internal devices.

HTH

Frank

Thanks Frank!

I don't know whether or not you have experience with  the Cisco RVS4000:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9928/index.html

In addition to VPN, it can act as a gateway or router. Do you think it would be capable of NAT'ng

to my server if I positioned it between my WAN and internal LAN?  Just to be clear, my internal

LAN has a domain controller/dns/dhcp and a gateway but they're configured to use 10.1.1.x

addressing.

BTW - I won't need access to my server from the outside, I just need to be able to access it

from devices on my internal LAN.

Bronze

Hi Joe,

If your RVS4000 doesn't support NAT/PAT, you could always implement a router on the external side of your RVS4000 and perform your NAT/PAT there. Your setup should accept egress traffic to be NATted.

HTH

Frank

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content