cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing over VPC

NETAD
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, I’m connecting a pair of nexus 9ks to a pair of catalyst 9500 stack virtual via a layer 2 VPC to extend some vlans to the nexus, but I also want to have some Layer 3 vlans on the nexus only. Can I create a layer 3 transport vlan between the  nexus and the catalyst and router over the vpc to get to those vlans on the nexus?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes, if the 9500 series switches are core/distro, I recommend keeping the 9ks as layer-2 only. This way all the routing for all the vlans is done on the core. Overall, it is a simpler solution.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

NETAD
Level 4
Level 4
Can someone assist here please.

You can use a separate link between the 2 Nexus switches and run layer-3 on it.  On some platforms, you can also use an SVI on both switches and run layer-3 over that.  You just have to make sure you exclude all your user/server vlans if you want to use the second option.

HTH

Thanks for the reply Reza. The 9500 is the core/distribution switch and the N9ks are the DC switches. Do you recommend keeping the N9ks as layer 2 and configure the SVI's for the servers at the core? This way the vPC between the Catalyst and the Nexus switches is purely L2 and the Nexus switches aren't doing any routing.

Hi,

Yes, if the 9500 series switches are core/distro, I recommend keeping the 9ks as layer-2 only. This way all the routing for all the vlans is done on the core. Overall, it is a simpler solution.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card