Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Routing table memory is full due to BGP routes.

what if Routing table is reaching the limit due to BGP routes.. is there any way to clear the routing table or memory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello, As Marvin says here

Hello,

As Marvin says here the question is , why are you even filling your router network table?

Is it really required to have all that info? Or can you summarize or use a default route instead?

Based on this options you have 3 options:

1) Contact the people that manage the next hop and ask them to filter/advertise only the rights networks.

2) Configure your router to accept only X information using filters (You still impact performance but no memory used for routes)

3) Use the great BGP ORF feature (Outbound Routing Filtering) where you will both make sure no memory is used for the routes as you would only receive what you need an also no CPU will be used to ignore/drop the unnecesary routes.

Hope that I could help

Regards,

Jcarvaja

Looking for some Networking Assistance? Contact me directly at jcarvaja@laguiadelnetworking.com I will fix your problem ASAP. Cheers, Julio Carvajal Segura http://laguiadelnetworking.com
4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Buy a bigger router. :

Buy a bigger router. :)

Seriously though - depending on your router, there may be a memory upgrade available.

The other option is to revisit whether you really need a full table - sometimes taking a simple default route from your provider suffices.

Thank you Marvin.... other

Thank you Marvin.... other option seems reasonable and economical...

Hello, As Marvin says here

Hello,

As Marvin says here the question is , why are you even filling your router network table?

Is it really required to have all that info? Or can you summarize or use a default route instead?

Based on this options you have 3 options:

1) Contact the people that manage the next hop and ask them to filter/advertise only the rights networks.

2) Configure your router to accept only X information using filters (You still impact performance but no memory used for routes)

3) Use the great BGP ORF feature (Outbound Routing Filtering) where you will both make sure no memory is used for the routes as you would only receive what you need an also no CPU will be used to ignore/drop the unnecesary routes.

Hope that I could help

Regards,

Jcarvaja

Looking for some Networking Assistance? Contact me directly at jcarvaja@laguiadelnetworking.com I will fix your problem ASAP. Cheers, Julio Carvajal Segura http://laguiadelnetworking.com

Thank you Julio Carvaja for

Views
Helpful
Replies