Views
Helpful
Replies

RP address with access-list help

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two rp-addresses configured, 10.10.22.1 and 10.20.25.1. One of them has an access-list configured only allowing 224.0.24.0 0.0.0.255, while the other does not have an access list. My question is why is is that the multicast group 224.0.24.6 always has it's rp-address configured to 10.20.25.1, why not the other rp?

Config is:

ip pim rp-address 10.20.25.1 active-wan

ip pim rp-address 10.10.22.1

Thanks

Dan

1 Accepted Solution
10 Replies 10

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

Routers will always pick the highest RP address (IP address, similar to OSPF router ID) as its RP.

HTH,

jerry

Brilliant thanks. Am I right in thinking that if I don't want to leave the choice to this rule I need to setup access-lists to control what rp groups are used to for joining mutlicast groups?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

If you don't want certain multicast group to be joined to an RP, you will have to use an ACL to filter it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/ipmulti/command/reference/imc_04.html#wp1030095

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

The link doesn't work for me. Can you repost please.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Jerry,

Sorry about this.I keep getting:

"Forbidden File or Application". Maybe you have special permissions on the Cisco website, are you logged in at the moment on the website?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

I did login into the CCO. The link is pretty much the command ip pim rp-address usage guide.

Regards,

jerry

Thanks that worked.

One more question. In the real world when you guys (CCIE) are deploying rp-addresses do you always have access-lists associated with them and strictly define which group can connect to it?

I lack the real world experience so it would be good to know some standards to work by.

Also do you mostly define the rp-address or allow it to be dynamically chosen at each site even across wan links?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

The ACL will only protect the network from unauthorized multicast group(s) to be announced by the network. It will only work if you have a pure sparse mode configuration. However, this doesn't protect you from rogue RP.

HTH,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card